This is the most important steps in Facebook privacy setup, so please follow all the steps carefully or you won’t get the intended results.
- Click Account, please select and click on the Privacy Setting.
- In the ‘Choose Your Privacy Settings’ page, there are 4 main features that you need to change.
- 1st privacy feature – Customize Setting. Click on the small ‘Customize Setting’ tab and a new page will opened – ‘Choose Your Privacy Settings – Customize settings’ page.
There are 4 privacy option to choose which are, ‘Everyone’, ‘Friends of Friends’, ‘Friends Only’ and ‘Customize’. Choosing ‘Friends Only’ is always a good option, especially when we didn’t want anyone that is not in our friend list to view our wall’s activities.
But, if you need a little bit more of privacy, you can choose ‘Customize’ instead. In the ‘Hide this from‘ text box, type the name of your ‘Unwanted’ friend list (as in the Step 1 – Edit Friends tutorial). You can also type individual name if you don’t have a friend list yet (which is not quite suitable for Facebook user with thousands of friends since removing each individual name from the setting later will take much of your time!)
After you have choose suitable setting for each small tabs in the ‘Customize Your Privacy Settings – Customize settings’ page, click ‘Back to Privacy’ at the top-left corner to go back to the ‘Choose your privacy settings’ page. Don’t forget to click on ‘Edit Album Privacy’ and select appropriate private setting too!Note: Always change your photo album privacy setting from the ‘Privacy Setting’ page as the normal setting from the Photo page tends to changed after you have saved your album.
2nd privacy feature – View Setting. Click ‘View Setting’ and you will go to ‘Choose your privacy settings – Connecting on Facebook’ page. Choose your appropriate privacy setting, then click ‘Back to Privacy’ at the top-left corner to go back to the ‘Choose your privacy settings’ page.
- 3rd privacy feature – Apps and Website. This is where your previous ‘Application Setting’ tab goes now! Click on this link to go to ‘Choose your privacy settings – Apps, games and websites’ page. Click ‘Apps You Used’ to remove any unwanted application. Note: You can no longer change any application that you’ve authorized, as Facebook has given all developers access to all our privacy when we add any application to our Facebook account. So beware of any unfamiliar, sloppy or misleading links or application that asked for your authorization.
Then, click ‘Edit Settings’ beside ‘Information accessible through your friends’, and UNTICK all boxes or choose which you would like your friends to know. Click ‘Save Changes’ after you’ve done.
- Click ‘Edit Settings’ again beside ‘Public search’, and UNTICK the ‘Enable public search’ to hide your Facebook account from any search engine searches.
4th privacy feature – Block Lists. Block List means you and the people you’ve blocked can longer see each other, unless the one who put the block on has removed the person from their Block List. Click to go to ‘Choose your privacy settings – Block lists‘ page. Starts typing an email, or any name that you would like to block from your Facebook. Be careful when typing names as you will probably end up with a wrong person with same name. Check their profile picture carefully first. OR, you can also go to their profile page directly, scroll down and click Report/Block This Person link. Choose ‘Block This Person’ and click the submit button.
- Once you have satisfied with all the changes, go back to the main Privacy Setting page, click ‘Customize Setting’, and click ‘Preview My Profile’. Type in the name of any person in your ‘Unwanted’ list to see what they can view from your profile. If you are still not satisfied with your privacy setting, please repeat the tutorial! 😀